Should You Trust Paul Connett?
Stephen Barrett, M.D.
Paul Connett, executive director of the Fluride Action Network (FAN), would have you believe that fluoridation is ineffective, unsafe, and unethical. Most of his ideas are embodied a 13,000-word article called "50 Objections to Fluoridation," which has been updated from time to time and posted on the FAN Web site. During the next year, working with a team of experts, I plan to develop responses to each his objections. This page will outline his views and link to our analyses when they are ready.
- Fluoride is the only chemical added to water for the purpose of medical treatment.
- Fluoridation is unethical.
- The dose cannot be controlled.
- The fluoride goes to everyone regardless of age, health, or vulnerability.
- People now receive fluoride from many other sources besides water.
- Fluoride is not an essential nutrient.
- The level of fluoride in mother's milk is very low.
- Fluoride accumulates in the body.
- No health agency in fluoridated countries is monitoring fluoride exposure or side effects
- There has never been a single randomized clinical trial to demonstrate fluoridation’s effectiveness or safety.
This page was posted on April 9, 2013.